Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ok Sam, Here we go....

Tomorrow is Sam's Big Day....He'll Officially be a Hippie!

I read this to Sam right after his surgery and he said, "Why would I be a Hippie?" I said, "A Hip-Y" He grinned. "Oh. That's good." He said, and fell asleep again.

We have to check in at the Surgery Center at Audubon at 6am (4 hrs from now...) and the Hip surgery is at 8 I think!


I'll post more when we know more and have internet access again.


For those who don't know, the surgery is for a condition Sam has where his hips did not form fully when he was born. The bones above do not cover the bones below completely....


This is from Sam's Blog about the Hip Procedure:



"The surgery is called a periacetabular osteotomy, PAO for short. Peri, or around the Acetabulum, and osteotomy means to cut bone. The hip is cut in two places and shifted in such a manner so that the top of the femur bone is fully covered. Then the hip is bolted into the new position and it heals into the corrected shape. The result is a hip that functions normally, is a stable weight bearing structure, and has the full degree of motion of a normal healthy hip. Best of all, the steady aching pain will be gone, and I can keep all my own parts
Surgery date is Wednesday Oct. 8thBelow is a diagram of the process and my own x rays."



For more info and lots of pictures, click here, or to keep updated, we put a link over to the right under Sam's Hip Surgery Journal---->

1 comment:

Marina said...

Good luck to you both! I have two weeks to go for my PAO!

Haven't heard of too many men with the condition.